• By Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Out of the common path; aside; -- used in composition, giving the meaning of something aside, secondary, or incidental, or collateral matter, a thing private or avoiding notice; as, by-line, by-place, by-play, by-street. It was formerly more freely used in composition than it is now; as, by-business, by-concernment, by-design, by-interest, etc.
- (pref.) Against.
- (adv.) Aside; as, to lay by; to put by.
- (pref.) With, as means, way, process, etc.; through means of; with aid of; through; through the act or agency of; as, a city is destroyed by fire; profit is made by commerce; to take by force.
- (pref.) On; along; in traversing. Compare 5.
- (pref.) Near to, while passing; hence, from one to the other side of; past; as, to go by a church.
- (adv.) Near; in the neighborhood; present; as, there was no person by at the time.
- (adv.) Passing near; going past; past; beyond; as, the procession has gone by; a bird flew by.
- (pref.) Used in specifying adjacent dimensions; as, a cabin twenty feet by forty.
- (pref.) In the neighborhood of; near or next to; not far from; close to; along with; as, come and sit by me.
• Byssuses Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Byssus
• Bye Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A thing not directly aimed at; something which is a secondary object of regard; an object by the way, etc.; as in on or upon the bye, i. e., in passing; indirectly; by implication.
- (n.) In certain games, a station or place of an individual player.
- (n.) A run made upon a missed ball; as, to steal a bye.
- (n.) A dwelling.
- (n.) In various sports in which the contestants are drawn in pairs, the position or turn of one left with no opponent in consequence of an odd number being engaged; as, to draw a bye in a round of a tennis tournament.
- (n.) The hole or holes of a stipulated course remaining unplayed at the end of a match.
, Au revoir