• Cabling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Cable
- (n.) The decoration of a fluted shaft of a column or of a pilaster with reeds, or rounded moldings, which seem to be laid in the hollows of the fluting. These are limited in length to about one third of the height of the shaft.
• Cable Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A large, strong rope or chain, of considerable length, used to retain a vessel at anchor, and for other purposes. It is made of hemp, of steel wire, or of iron links.
- (v. t.) To fasten with a cable.
- (n.) A rope of steel wire, or copper wire, usually covered with some protecting or insulating substance; as, the cable of a suspension bridge; a telegraphic cable.
- (v. t.) To ornament with cabling. See Cabling.
- (v. t. & i.) To telegraph by a submarine cable
- (n.) A molding, shaft of a column, or any other member of convex, rounded section, made to resemble the spiral twist of a rope; -- called also cable molding.