• Cadence Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Cadency.
- (n.) A cadenza, or closing embellishment; a pause before the end of a strain, which the performer may fill with a flight of fancy.
- (n.) The act or state of declining or sinking.
- (n.) Rhythmical flow of language, in prose or verse.
- (n.) Harmony and proportion in motions, as of a well-managed horse.
- (n.) The close or fall of a strain; the point of rest, commonly reached by the immediate succession of the tonic to the dominant chord.
- (v. t.) To regulate by musical measure.
- (n.) A uniform time and place in marching.
- (n.) A rhythmical modulation of the voice or of any sound; as, music of bells in cadence sweet.
- (n.) A fall of the voice in reading or speaking, especially at the end of a sentence.