• Cantoning Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Canton
• Canton Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To allot separate quarters to, as to different parts or divisions of an army or body of troops.
- (v. i.) To divide into small parts or districts; to mark off or separate, as a distinct portion or division.
- (n.) A division of a shield occupying one third part of the chief, usually on the dexter side, formed by a perpendicular line from the top of the shield, meeting a horizontal line from the side.
- (n.) A small portion; a division; a compartment.
- (n.) A small community or clan.
- (n.) A small territorial district; esp. one of the twenty-two independent states which form the Swiss federal republic; in France, a subdivision of an arrondissement. See Arrondissement.
- (n.) A song or canto