• Capital Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) See Capital letter, under Capital, a.
- (n.) Money, property, or stock employed in trade, manufactures, etc.; the sum invested or lent, as distinguished from the income or interest. See Capital stock, under Capital, a.
- (a.) Anything which can be used to increase ones power or influence.
- (a.) That portion of the produce of industry, which may be directly employed either to support human beings or to assist in production.
- (n.) Of first rate quality; excellent; as, a capital speech or song.
- (n.) Having reference to, or involving, the forfeiture of the head or life; affecting life; punishable with death; as, capital trials; capital punishment.
- (n.) The head or uppermost member of a column, pilaster, etc. It consists generally of three parts, abacus, bell (or vase), and necking. See these terms, and Column.
- (n.) Of or pertaining to the head.
- (a.) A chapter, or section, of a book.
- (n.) Chief, in a political sense, as being the seat of the general government of a state or nation; as, Washington and Paris are capital cities.
- (n.) First in importance; chief; principal.
- (n.) The seat of government; the chief city or town in a country; a metropolis.
- (a.) An imaginary line dividing a bastion, ravelin, or other work, into two equal parts.
• Capitalist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who has capital; one who has money for investment, or money invested; esp. a person of large property, which is employed in business.