• Captain Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To act as captain of; to lead.
- (n.) By courtesy, an officer actually commanding a vessel, although not having the rank of captain.
- (n.) A person having authority over others acting in concert; as, the captain of a boats crew; the captain of a football team.
- (n.) The foreman of a body of workmen.
- (n.) A military leader; a warrior.
- (n.) A head, or chief officer
- (n.) The master or commanding officer of a merchant vessel.
- (n.) One in charge of a portion of a ships company; as, a captain of a top, captain of a gun, etc.
- (n.) An officer in the United States navy, next above a commander and below a commodore, and ranking with a colonel in the army.
- (n.) The military officer who commands a company, troop, or battery, or who has the rank entitling him to do so though he may be employed on other service.
- (a.) Chief; superior.
, Sea captain
• Captainship Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The condition, rank, post, or authority of a captain or chief commander.
- (n.) Military skill; as, to show good captainship.