• Card Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To clean or clear, as if by using a card.
- (n.) An indicator card. See under Indicator.
- (v. t.) To mix or mingle, as with an inferior or weaker article.
- (v. t.) To comb with a card; to cleanse or disentangle by carding; as, to card wool; to card a horse.
- (n.) A perforated pasteboard or sheet-metal plate for warp threads, making part of the Jacquard apparatus of a loom. See Jacquard.
- (n.) A published note, containing a brief statement, explanation, request, expression of thanks, or the like; as, to put a card in the newspapers. Also, a printed programme, and (fig.), an attraction or inducement; as, this will be a good card for the last day of the fair.
- (v. i.) To play at cards; to game.
- (n.) A piece of pasteboard, or thick paper, blank or prepared for various uses; as, a playing card; a visiting card; a card of invitation; pl. a game played with cards.
- (n.) A paper on which the points of the compass are marked; the dial or face of the mariners compass.
- (n.) An instrument for disentangling and arranging the fibers of cotton, wool, flax, etc.; or for cleaning and smoothing the hair of animals; -- usually consisting of bent wire teeth set closely in rows in a thick piece of leather fastened to a back.
- (n.) A roll or sliver of fiber (as of wool) delivered from a carding machine.
• Car Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A vehicle adapted to the rails of a railroad.
- (n.) The basket, box, or cage suspended from a balloon to contain passengers, ballast, etc.
- (n.) A small vehicle moved on wheels; usually, one having but two wheels and drawn by one horse; a cart.
- (n.) The stars also called Charless Wain, the Great Bear, or the Dipper.
- (n.) A floating perforated box for living fish.
- (n.) The cage of a lift or elevator.
- (n.) A chariot of war or of triumph; a vehicle of splendor, dignity, or solemnity.
• Cardamine Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A genus of cruciferous plants, containing the ladys-smock, cuckooflower, bitter cress, meadow cress, etc.
• Cardiogram Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The curve or tracing made by a cardiograph.