• Chancing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Chance
• Chance Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Happening by chance; casual.
- (n.) A supposed material or psychical agent or mode of activity other than a force, law, or purpose; fortune; fate; -- in this sense often personified.
- (n.) The supposed effect of such an agent; something that befalls, as the result of unknown or unconsidered forces; the issue of uncertain conditions; an event not calculated upon; an unexpected occurrence; a happening; accident; fortuity; casualty.
- (adv.) By chance; perchance.
- (n.) A possibility; a likelihood; an opportunity; -- with reference to a doubtful result; as, a chance to escape; a chance for life; the chances are all against him.
- (n.) Probability.
- (n.) The operation or activity of such agent.
- (v. i.) To happen, come, or arrive, without design or expectation.
- (v. t.) To take the chances of; to venture upon; -- usually with it as object.
- (v. t.) To befall; to happen to.