• Character Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Quality, position, rank, or capacity; quality or conduct with respect to a certain office or duty; as, in the miserable character of a slave; in his character as a magistrate; her character as a daughter.
- (n.) A unique or extraordinary individuality; a person characterized by peculiar or notable traits; a person who illustrates certain phases of character; as, Randolph was a character; Caesar is a great historical character.
- (n.) Style of writing or printing; handwriting; the peculiar form of letters used by a particular person or people; as, an inscription in the Runic character.
- (n.) The peculiar quality, or the sum of qualities, by which a person or a thing is distinguished from others; the stamp impressed by nature, education, or habit; that which a person or thing really is; nature; disposition.
- (v. t.) To distinguish by particular marks or traits; to describe; to characterize.
- (n.) Moral quality; the principles and motives that control the life; as, a man of character; his character saves him from suspicion.
- (n.) A written statement as to behavior, competency, etc., given to a servant.
- (n.) A distinctive mark; a letter, figure, or symbol.
- (n.) Strength of mind; resolution; independence; individuality; as, he has a great deal of character.
- (n.) One of the persons of a drama or novel.
- (v. t.) To engrave; to inscribe.
- (n.) The estimate, individual or general, put upon a person or thing; reputation; as, a mans character for truth and veracity; to give one a bad character.
• Characterize Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To be a characteristic of; to make, or express the character of.
- (v. t.) To make distinct and recognizable by peculiar marks or traits; to make with distinctive features.
- (v. t.) To indicate the character of; to describe.
- (v. t.) To engrave or imprint.
• Characterized Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Characterize