• Chartered Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Charter
- (a.) Granted or established by charter; having, or existing under, a charter; having a privilege by charter.
- (a.) Hired or let by charter, as a ship.
• Charter Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) An instrument in writing, from the sovereign power of a state or country, executed in due form, bestowing rights, franchises, or privileges.
- (n.) The letting or hiring a vessel by special contract, or the contract or instrument whereby a vessel is hired or let; as, a ship is offered for sale or charter. See Charter party, below.
- (n.) An act of a legislative body creating a municipal or other corporation and defining its powers and privileges. Also, an instrument in writing from the constituted authorities of an order or society (as the Freemasons), creating a lodge and defining its powers.
- (v. t.) To establish by charter.
- (n.) A special privilege, immunity, or exemption.
- (n.) A written evidence in due form of things done or granted, contracts made, etc., between man and man; a deed, or conveyance.
- (v. t.) To hire or let by charter, as a ship. See Charter party, under Charter, n.