• Check Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A woven or painted design in squares resembling the patten of a checkerboard; one of the squares of such a design; also, cloth having such a figure.
- (n.) A written order directing a bank or banker to pay money as therein stated. See Bank check, below.
- (n.) The forsaking by a hawk of its proper game to follow other birds.
- (n.) Small chick or crack.
- (v. i.) To crack or gape open, as wood in drying; or to crack in small checks, as varnish, paint, etc.
- (a.) Checkered; designed in checks.
- (v. i.) To clash or interfere.
- (v. t.) To verify, to guard, to make secure, by means of a mark, token, or other check; to distinguish by a check; to put a mark against (an item) after comparing with an original or a counterpart in order to secure accuracy; as, to check an account; to check baggage.
- (n.) A condition of interrupted or impeded progress; arrest; stop; delay; as, to hold an enemy in check.
- (v. t.) To make a move which puts an adversarys piece, esp. his king, in check; to put in check.
- (v. t.) To chide, rebuke, or reprove.
- (v. i.) To make a stop; to pause; -- with at.
- (v. i.) To act as a curb or restraint.
- (v. t.) To put a sudden restraint upon; to stop temporarily; to hinder; to repress; to curb.
- (n.) A word of warning denoting that the king is in danger; such a menace of a players king by an adversarys move as would, if it were any other piece, expose it to immediate capture. A king so menaced is said to be in check, and must be made safe at the next move.
- (v. i.) To turn, when in pursuit of proper game, and fly after other birds.
- (v. t.) To slack or ease off, as a brace which is too stiffly extended.
- (n.) Whatever arrests progress, or limits action; an obstacle, guard, restraint, or rebuff.
- (v. t.) To make checks or chinks in; to cause to crack; as, the sun checks timber.
- (n.) A mark, certificate, or token, by which, errors may be prevented, or a thing or person may be identified; as, checks placed against items in an account; a check given for baggage; a return check on a railroad.
• Checkage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of checking; as, the checkage of a name or of an item in a list.
- (n.) The items, or the amount, to which attention is called by a check or checks.