• Chief Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The upper third part of the field. It is supposed to be composed of the dexter, sinister, and middle chiefs.
- (a.) Principal or most eminent in any quality or action; most distinguished; having most influence; taking the lead; most important; as, the chief topic of conversation; the chief interest of man.
- (a.) Highest in office or rank; principal; head.
- (n.) The head or leader of any body of men; a commander, as of an army; a head man, as of a tribe, clan, or family; a person in authority who directs the work of others; the principal actor or agent.
- (n.) The principal part; the most valuable portion.
- (a.) Very intimate, near, or close.
• Chiefest Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) First or foremost; chief; principal.
• Chief hare Definition & Synonyms
- () A small rodent (Lagamys princeps) inhabiting the summits of the Rocky Mountains; -- also called crying hare, calling hare, cony, American pika, and little chief hare.