• Cilia Definition & Synonyms
- (n. pl.) Small, generally microscopic, vibrating appendages lining certain organs, as the air passages of the higher animals, and in the lower animals often covering also the whole or a part of the exterior. They are also found on some vegetable organisms. In the Infusoria, and many larval forms, they are locomotive organs.
- (n. pl.) The eyelashes.
- (n. pl.) Small, vibratory, swimming organs, somewhat resembling true cilia, as those of Ctenophora.
- (n. pl.) Hairlike processes, commonly marginal and forming a fringe like the eyelash.
• Ciliary Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Pertaining to or connected with the cilia in animal or vegetable organisms; as, ciliary motion.
- (a.) Pertaining to the cilia, or eyelashes. Also applied to special parts of the eye itself; as, the ciliary processes of the choroid coat; the ciliary muscle, etc.