• Cist Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A box or chest. Specifically: (a) A bronze receptacle, round or oval, frequently decorated with engravings on the sides and cover, and with feet, handles, etc., of decorative castings. (b) A cinerary urn. See Illustration in Appendix.
- (n.) See Cyst.
• Cistercian Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of or pertaining to the Cistercians.
- (n.) A monk of the prolific branch of the Benedictine Order, established in 1098 at Citeaux, in France, by Robert, abbot of Molesme. For two hundred years the Cistercians followed the rule of St. Benedict in all its rigor.