• Coat Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A petticoat.
- (v. t.) To cover with a coat or outer garment.
- (n.) An outer garment fitting the upper part of the body; especially, such a garment worn by men.
- (n.) The habit or vesture of an order of men, indicating the order or office; cloth.
- (n.) Same as Coat of arms. See below.
- (n.) A layer of any substance covering another; a cover; a tegument; as, the coats of the eye; the coats of an onion; a coat of tar or varnish.
- (n.) A coat card. See below.
- (n.) An external covering like a garment, as fur, skin, wool, husk, or bark; as, the horses coats were sleek.
- (v. t.) To cover with a layer of any substance; as, to coat a jar with tin foil; to coat a ceiling.
• Coating Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Coat
- (n.) A coat or covering; a layer of any substance, as a cover or protection; as, the coating of a retort or vial.
- (n.) Cloth for coats; as, an assortment of coatings.
• Coati Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A mammal of tropical America of the genus Nasua, allied to the raccoon, but with a longer body, tail, and nose.