• Coffer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The chamber of a canal lock; also, a caisson or a cofferdam.
- (n.) A casket, chest, or trunk; especially, one used for keeping money or other valuables.
- (v. t.) To put into a coffer.
- (n.) A trench dug in the bottom of a dry moat, and extending across it, to enable the besieged to defend it by a raking fire.
- (n.) A panel deeply recessed in the ceiling of a vault, dome, or portico; a caisson.
- (n.) Fig.: Treasure or funds; -- usually in the plural.
- (v. t.) To secure from leaking, as a shaft, by ramming clay behind the masonry or timbering.
- (v. t.) To form with or in a coffer or coffers; to furnish with a coffer or coffers.
• Cofferdam Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A water-tight inclosure, as of piles packed with clay, from which the water is pumped to expose the bottom (of a river, etc.) and permit the laying of foundations, building of piers, etc.