• Colored Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of some other color than black or white.
- (a.) Of some other color than green.
- (a.) Having color; tinged; dyed; painted; stained.
- (a.) Of some other color than white; specifically applied to negroes or persons having negro blood; as, a colored man; the colored people.
- (a.) Specious; plausible; adorned so as to appear well; as, a highly colored description.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Color
• Color Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A property depending on the relations of light to the eye, by which individual and specific differences in the hues and tints of objects are apprehended in vision; as, gay colors; sad colors, etc.
- (v. t.) To hide.
- (v. i.) To acquire color; to turn red, especially in the face; to blush.
- (n.) A distinguishing badge, as a flag or similar symbol (usually in the plural); as, the colors or color of a ship or regiment; the colors of a race horse (that is, of the cap and jacket worn by the jockey).
- (n.) An apparent right; as where the defendant in trespass gave to the plaintiff an appearance of title, by stating his title specially, thus removing the cause from the jury to the court.
- (v. t.) To change or alter the hue or tint of, by dyeing, staining, painting, etc.; to dye; to tinge; to paint; to stain.
- (n.) Shade or variety of character; kind; species.
- (n.) That which is used to give color; a paint; a pigment; as, oil colors or water colors.
- (n.) That which covers or hides the real character of anything; semblance; excuse; disguise; appearance.
- (n.) The hue or color characteristic of good health and spirits; ruddy complexion.
- (v. t.) To change or alter, as if by dyeing or painting; to give a false appearance to; usually, to give a specious appearance to; to cause to appear attractive; to make plausible; to palliate or excuse; as, the facts were colored by his prejudices.
- (n.) Any hue distinguished from white or black.