• Combing Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Hair arranged to be worn on the head.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Comb
- (n.) See Coamings.
- (n.) That which is caught or collected with a comb, as loose, tangled hair.
- (n.) The act or process of using a comb or a number of combs; as, the combing of ones hair; the combing of wool.
• Comb Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One of a pair of peculiar organs on the base of the abdomen of scorpions.
- (n.) An instrument with teeth, for straightening, cleansing, and adjusting the hair, or for keeping it in place.
- (n.) The serrated vibratory doffing knife of a carding machine.
- (n.) The curling crest of a wave.
- (n.) To roll over, as the top or crest of a wave; to break with a white foam, as waves.
- (n.) The thumbpiece of the hammer of a gunlock, by which it may be cocked.
- (n.) The notched scale of a wire micrometer.
- (n.) A dry measure. See Coomb.
- (n.) The waxen framework forming the walls of the cells in which bees store their honey, eggs, etc.; honeycomb.
- (n.) The naked fleshy crest or caruncle on the upper part of the bill or hood of a cock or other bird. It is usually red.
- (n.) An instrument for currying hairy animals, or cleansing and smoothing their coats; a currycomb.
- (n.) Alt. of Combe
- (n.) The collector of an electrical machine, usually resembling a comb.
- (n.) A former, commonly cone-shaped, used in hat manufacturing for hardening the soft fiber into a bat.
- (n.) A tool with teeth, used for chasing screws on work in a lathe; a chaser.
- (n.) A toothed instrument used for separating and cleansing wool, flax, hair, etc.
- (v. t.) To disentangle, cleanse, or adjust, with a comb; to lay smooth and straight with, or as with, a comb; as, to comb hair or wool. See under Combing.
• Combe Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Comb.
- (n.) That unwatered portion of a valley which forms its continuation beyond and above the most elevated spring that issues into it.