• Comfort Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To impart strength and hope to; to encourage; to relieve; to console; to cheer.
- (n.) Encouragement; solace; consolation in trouble; also, that which affords consolation.
- (n.) A wadded bedquilt; a comfortable.
- (v. t.) To assist or help; to aid.
- (n.) Assistance; relief; support.
- (v. t.) To make strong; to invigorate; to fortify; to corroborate.
- (n.) A state of quiet enjoyment; freedom from pain, want, or anxiety; also, whatever contributes to such a condition.
- (n.) Unlawful support, countenance, or encouragement; as, to give aid and comfort to the enemy.
• Comfortable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Strong; vigorous; valiant.
- (n.) A stuffed or quilted coverlet for a bed; a comforter; a comfort.
- (a.) Free, or comparatively free, from pain or distress; -- used of a sick person.
- (a.) Serviceable; helpful.
- (a.) Affording or imparting comfort or consolation; able to comfort; cheering; as, a comfortable hope.
- (a.) In a condition of comfort; having comforts; not suffering or anxious; hence, contented; cheerful; as, to lead a comfortable life.