• Command Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To exercise direct authority over; to have control of; to have at ones disposal; to lead.
- (v. i.) To have or to exercise direct authority; to govern; to sway; to influence; to give an order or orders.
- (v. t.) To order with authority; to lay injunction upon; to direct; to bid; to charge.
- (n.) A body of troops, or any naval or military force or post, or the whole territory under the authority or control of a particular officer.
- (n.) An authoritative order requiring obedience; a mandate; an injunction.
- (n.) Authority; power or right of control; leadership; as, the forces under his command.
- (v. t.) To direct to come; to bestow.
- (v. t.) To have power or influence of the nature of authority over; to obtain as if by ordering; to receive as a due; to challenge; to claim; as, justice commands the respect and affections of the people; the best goods command the best price.
- (n.) The possession or exercise of authority.
- (n.) Power to dominate, command, or overlook by means of position; scope of vision; survey.
- (n.) Control; power over something; sway; influence; as, to have command over ones temper or voice; the fort has command of the bridge.
- (v. t.) To have within a sphere of control, influence, access, or vision; to dominate by position; to guard; to overlook.
- (v. i.) To have a view, as from a superior position.
• Commandeering Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Commandeer
• Commandingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a commanding manner.
• Commanding Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Fitted to impress or control; as, a commanding look or presence.
- (a.) Exercising authority; actually in command; as, a commanding officer.
- (a.) Exalted; overlooking; having superior strategic advantages; as, a commanding position.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Command