• Commit Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To give in trust; to put into charge or keeping; to intrust; to consign; -- used with to, unto.
- (v. t.) To confound.
- (v. i.) To sin; esp., to be incontinent.
- (v. t.) To put in charge of a jailor; to imprison.
- (v. t.) To join for a contest; to match; -- followed by with.
- (v. t.) To pledge or bind; to compromise, expose, or endanger by some decisive act or preliminary step; -- often used reflexively; as, to commit ones self to a certain course.
- (v. t.) To do; to perpetrate, as a crime, sin, or fault.
• Commitment Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The act of referring or intrusting to a committee for consideration and report; as, the commitment of a petition or a bill.
- (n.) The act of committing, or putting in charge, keeping, or trust; consignment; esp., the act of committing to prison.
- (n.) A doing, or perpetration, in a bad sense, as of a crime or blunder; commission.
- (n.) A warrant or order for the imprisonment of a person; -- more frequently termed a mittimus.
- (n.) The act of pledging or engaging; the act of exposing, endangering, or compromising; also, the state of being pledged or engaged.