• Compare Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To inflect according to the degrees of comparison; to state positive, comparative, and superlative forms of; as, most adjectives of one syllable are compared by affixing "- er" and "-est" to the positive form; as, black, blacker, blackest; those of more than one syllable are usually compared by prefixing "more" and "most", or "less" and "least", to the positive; as, beautiful, more beautiful, most beautiful.
- (v. t.) To examine the character or qualities of, as of two or more persons or things, for the purpose of discovering their resemblances or differences; to bring into comparison; to regard with discriminating attention.
- (v. t.) To represent as similar, for the purpose of illustration; to liken.
- (n.) Comparison.
- (v. i.) To be like or equal; to admit, or be worthy of, comparison; as, his later work does not compare with his earlier.
- (n.) Illustration by comparison; simile.
- (v. t.) To get; to procure; to obtain; to acquire
- (v. i.) To vie; to assume a likeness or equality.
• Compared Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of Compare