• Confirm Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To render valid by formal assent; to complete by a necessary sanction; to ratify; as, to confirm the appoinment of an official; the Senate confirms a treaty.
- (v. t.) To make firm or firmer; to add strength to; to establish; as, health is confirmed by exercise.
- (v. t.) To administer the rite of confirmation to. See Confirmation, 3.
- (v. t.) To strengthen in judgment or purpose.
- (v. t.) To give new assurance of the truth of; to render certain; to verify; to corroborate; as, to confirm a rumor.
• Confirmation Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A rite supplemental to baptism, by which a person is admitted, through the laying on of the hands of a bishop, to the full privileges of the church, as in the Roman Catholic, the Episcopal Church, etc.
- (n.) That which confirms; that which gives new strength or assurance; as to a statement or belief; additional evidence; proof; convincing testimony.
- (n.) The act of confirming or strengthening; the act of establishing, ratifying, or sanctioning; as, the confirmation of an appointment.
- (n.) A conveyance by which a voidable estate is made sure and not voidable, or by which a particular estate is increased; a contract, express or implied, by which a person makes that firm and binding which was before voidable.
• Confirmee Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One to whom anything is confirmed.