• Contesting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Contest
• Contest Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Earnest dispute; strife in argument; controversy; debate; altercation.
- (v. t.) To make a subject of litigation; to defend, as a suit; to dispute or resist; as a claim, by course of law; to controvert.
- (n.) Earnest struggle for superiority, victory, defense, etc.; competition; emulation; strife in arms; conflict; combat; encounter.
- (v. i.) To engage in contention, or emulation; to contend; to strive; to vie; to emulate; -- followed usually by with.
- (v. t.) To make a subject of dispute, contention, litigation, or emulation; to contend for; to call in question; to controvert; to oppose; to dispute.
- (v. t.) To strive earnestly to hold or maintain; to struggle to defend; as, the troops contested every inch of ground.
• Contestingly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In a contending manner.