• Contraries Definition & Synonyms
- (pl. ) of Contrary
- (n.) Propositions which directly and destructively contradict each other, but of which the falsehood of one does not establish the truth of the other.
• Contrary Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) See Contraries.
- (a.) Opposed; contradictory; repugnant; inconsistent.
- (n.) the opposite; a proposition, fact, or condition incompatible with another; as, slender proofs which rather show the contrary. See Converse, n., 1.
- (a.) Opposite; in an opposite direction; in opposition; adverse; as, contrary winds.
- (a.) Affirming the opposite; so opposed as to destroy each other; as, contrary propositions.
- (a.) Given to opposition; perverse; forward; wayward; as, a contrary disposition; a contrary child.
- (n.) A thing that is of contrary or opposite qualities.
- (n.) An opponent; an enemy.