• Convention Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) General agreement or concurrence; arbitrary custom; usage; conventionality.
- (v. i.) An agreement or contract less formal than, or preliminary to, a treaty; an informal compact, as between commanders of armies in respect to suspension of hostilities, or between states; also, a formal agreement between governments or sovereign powers; as, a postal convention between two governments.
- (v. i.) An extraordinary assembly of the parkiament or estates of the realm, held without the kings writ, -- as the assembly which restored Charles II. to the throne, and that which declared the throne to be abdicated by James II.
- (v. i.) The act of coming together; the state of being together; union; coalition.
- (v. i.) A meeting or an assembly of persons, esp. of delegates or representatives, to accomplish some specific object, -- civil, social, political, or ecclesiastical.
• Conventional Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Growing out of, or depending on, custom or tacit agreement; sanctioned by general concurrence or usage; formal.
- (a.) Formed by agreement or compact; stipulated.
- (a.) Based upon tradition, whether religious and historical or of artistic rules.
- (a.) Abstracted; removed from close representation of nature by the deliberate selection of what is to be represented and what is to be rejected; as, a conventional flower; a conventional shell. Cf. Conventionalize, v. t.