• Cost Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) The amount paid, charged, or engaged to be paid, for anything bought or taken in barter; charge; expense; hence, whatever, as labor, self-denial, suffering, etc., is requisite to secure benefit.
- (n.) See Cottise.
- (v. t.) Loss of any kind; detriment; pain; suffering.
- (v. t.) Expenses incurred in litigation.
- (n.) A rib; a side; a region or coast.
- (v. t.) To require to be given, expended, or laid out therefor, as in barter, purchase, acquisition, etc.; to cause the cost, expenditure, relinquishment, or loss of; as, the ticket cost a dollar; the effort cost his life.
- (v. t.) To require to be borne or suffered; to cause.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Cost
• Costiveness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Inability to express ones self; stiffness.
- (n.) An unnatural retention of the fecal matter of the bowels; constipation.
• Costive Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Retaining fecal matter in the bowels; having too slow a motion of the bowels; constipated.
- (a.) Dry and hard; impermeable; unyielding.
- (a.) Reserved; formal; close; cold.