• Covenanting Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Covenant
- (a.) Belonging to a covenant. Specifically, belonging to the Scotch Covenanters.
• Covenant Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A solemn compact between members of a church to maintain its faith, discipline, etc.
- (n.) An undertaking, on sufficient consideration, in writing and under seal, to do or to refrain from some act or thing; a contract; a stipulation; also, the document or writing containing the terms of agreement.
- (n.) A mutual agreement of two or more persons or parties, or one of the stipulations in such an agreement.
- (v. i.) To agree (with); to enter into a formal agreement; to bind ones self by contract; to make a stipulation.
- (v. t.) To grant or promise by covenant.
- (n.) An agreement made by the Scottish Parliament in 1638, and by the English Parliament in 1643, to preserve the reformed religion in Scotland, and to extirpate popery and prelacy; -- usually called the "Solemn League and Covenant."
- (n.) The promises of God as revealed in the Scriptures, conditioned on certain terms on the part of man, as obedience, repentance, faith, etc.
- (n.) A form of action for the violation of a promise or contract under seal.