• Crab Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) A cudgel made of the wood of the crab tree; a crabstick.
- (a.) A movable winch or windlass with powerful gearing, used with derricks, etc.
- (v. i.) To drift sidewise or to leeward, as a vessel.
- (a.) A claw for anchoring a portable machine.
- (a.) A form of windlass, or geared capstan, for hauling ships into dock, etc.
- (n.) One of the brachyuran Crustacea. They are mostly marine, and usually have a broad, short body, covered with a strong shell or carapace. The abdomen is small and curled up beneath the body.
- (a.) Sour; rough; austere.
- (v. t.) To beat with a crabstick.
- (a.) A crab apple; -- so named from its harsh taste.
- (n.) The zodiacal constellation Cancer.
- (a.) A machine used in ropewalks to stretch the yarn.
- (v. t.) To make sour or morose; to embitter.
• Crabbed Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Characterized by harshness or roughness; unpleasant; -- applied to things; as, a crabbed taste.
- (n.) Obscure; difficult; perplexing; trying; as, a crabbed author.
- (n.) Characterized by or manifesting, sourness, peevishness, or moroseness; harsh; cross; cynical; -- applied to feelings, disposition, or manners.
- (n.) Cramped; irregular; as, crabbed handwriting.