• Crowning Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Crown
• Crown Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The vertex or top of an arch; -- applied generally to about one third of the curve, but in a pointed arch to the apex only.
- (n.) The rounding, or rounded part, of the deck from a level line.
- (n.) That part of an anchor where the arms are joined to the shank.
- (n.) To cover, decorate, or invest with a crown; hence, to invest with royal dignity and power.
- (n.) A royal headdress or cap of sovereignty, worn by emperors, kings, princes, etc.
- (n.) To effect a lodgment upon, as upon the crest of the glacis, or the summit of the breach.
- (n.) The area inclosed between two concentric perimeters.
- (n.) Anything which imparts beauty, splendor, honor, dignity, or finish.
- (n.) Highest state; acme; consummation; perfection.
- (n.) Same as Corona.
- (n.) An ornaments or decoration representing a crown; as, the paper is stamped with a crown.
- (n.) To cause to round upward; to make anything higher at the middle than at the edges, as the face of a machine pulley.
- (n.) The part of a hat above the brim.
- (n.) The dome of a furnace.
- (n.) The topmost part of anything; the summit.
- () of Crow
- (n.) A round spot shaved clean on the top of the head, as a mark of the clerical state; the tonsure.
- (n.) The person entitled to wear a regal or imperial crown; the sovereign; -- with the definite article.
- (n.) The topmost part of the head (see Illust. of Bird.); that part of the head from which the hair descends toward the sides and back; also, the head or brain.
- (n.) The bights formed by the several turns of a cable.
- (n.) The part of a tooth which projects above the gum; also, the top or grinding surface of a tooth.
- (n.) A coin stamped with the image of a crown; hence,a denomination of money; as, the English crown, a silver coin of the value of five shillings sterling, or a little more than $1.20; the Danish or Norwegian crown, a money of account, etc., worth nearly twenty-seven cents.
- (n.) The upper range of facets in a rose diamond.
- (n.) To form the topmost or finishing part of; to complete; to consummate; to perfect.
- () p. p. of Crow.
- (n.) Imperial or regal power or dominion; sovereignty.
- (n.) To bestow something upon as a mark of honor, dignity, or recompense; to adorn; to dignify.
- (n.) A size of writing paper. See under Paper.
- (n.) A wreath or garland, or any ornamental fillet encircling the head, especially as a reward of victory or mark of honorable distinction; hence, anything given on account of, or obtained by, faithful or successful effort; a reward.