• Curb Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A swelling on the back part of the hind leg of a horse, just behind the lowest part of the hock joint, generally causing lameness.
- (n.) A frame or wall round the mouth of a well; also, a frame within a well to prevent the earth caving in.
- (n.) That which curbs, restrains, or subdues; a check or hindrance; esp., a chain or strap attached to the upper part of the branches of a bit, and capable of being drawn tightly against the lower jaw of the horse.
- (n.) A curbstone.
- (v. i.) To bend; to crouch; to cringe.
- (v. t.) To guide and manage, or restrain, as with a curb; to bend to ones will; to subject; to subdue; to restrain; to confine; to keep in check.
- (n.) An assemblage of three or more pieces of timber, or a metal member, forming a frame around an opening, and serving to maintain the integrity of that opening; also, a ring of stone serving a similar purpose, as at the eye of a dome.
- (v. t.) To bend or curve
- (v. t.) To furnish wich a curb, as a well; also, to restrain by a curb, as a bank of earth.
• Curbing Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Curb