• Deaden Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) To deprive of gloss or brilliancy; to obscure; as, to deaden gilding by a coat of size.
- (a.) To lessen the velocity or momentum of; to retard; as, to deaden a ships headway.
- (a.) To make vapid or spiritless; as, to deaden wine.
- (a.) To make as dead; to impair in vigor, force, activity, or sensation; to lessen the force or acuteness of; to blunt; as, to deaden the natural powers or feelings; to deaden a sound.
- (v. t.) To render impervious to sound, as a wall or floor; to deafen.
• Deadening Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Deaden