• Defeating Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Defeat
• Defeat Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To undo; to disfigure; to destroy.
- (v. t.) To resist with success; as, to defeat an assault.
- (v. t.) To overcome or vanquish, as an army; to check, disperse, or ruin by victory; to overthrow.
- (v. t.) To render null and void, as a title; to frustrate, as hope; to deprive, as of an estate.
- (v.) An overthrow, as of an army in battle; loss of a battle; repulse suffered; discomfiture; -- opposed to victory.
- (v.) An undoing or annulling; destruction.
- (v.) Frustration by rendering null and void, or by prevention of success; as, the defeat of a plan or design.