• Defending Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Defend
• Defend Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To deny the right of the plaintiff in regard to (the suit, or the wrong charged); to oppose or resist, as a claim at law; to contest, as a suit.
- (v. t.) To repel danger or harm from; to protect; to secure against; attack; to maintain against force or argument; to uphold; to guard; as, to defend a town; to defend a cause; to defend character; to defend the absent; -- sometimes followed by from or against; as, to defend ones self from, or against, ones enemies.
- (v. t.) To prohibit; to forbid.
- (v. t.) To ward or fend off; to drive back or away; to repel.