• Degraded Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Having the typical characters or organs in a partially developed condition, or lacking certain parts.
- (imp. & p. p.) of Degrade
- (a.) Having steps; -- said of a cross each of whose extremities finishes in steps growing larger as they leave the center; -- termed also on degrees.
- (a.) Reduced in rank, character, or reputation; debased; sunken; low; base.
• Degrade Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To reduce from a higher to a lower rank or degree; to lower in rank; to deprive of office or dignity; to strip of honors; as, to degrade a nobleman, or a general officer.
- (v. i.) To degenerate; to pass from a higher to a lower type of structure; as, a family of plants or animals degrades through this or that genus or group of genera.
- (v. t.) To reduce in estimation, character, or reputation; to lessen the value of; to lower the physical, moral, or intellectual character of; to debase; to bring shame or contempt upon; to disgrace; as, vice degrades a man.
- (v. t.) To reduce in altitude or magnitude, as hills and mountains; to wear down.