• Demur Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To interpose a demurrer. See Demurrer, 2.
- (v. t.) To suspend judgment concerning; to doubt of or hesitate about.
- (v. t.) To cause delay to; to put off.
- (v. i.) Stop; pause; hesitation as to proceeding; suspense of decision or action; scruple.
- (v. i.) To delay; to pause; to suspend proceedings or judgment in view of a doubt or difficulty; to hesitate; to put off the determination or conclusion of an affair.
- (v. i.) To scruple or object; to take exception; as, I demur to that statement.
- (v. i.) To linger; to stay; to tarry.
• Demure Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Of sober or serious mien; composed and decorous in bearing; of modest look; staid; grave.
- (a.) Affectedly modest, decorous, or serious; making a show of gravity.
- (v. i.) To look demurely.
• Demurity Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Demureness; also, one who is demure.