• Discount Definition & Synonyms
Synonyms: Bank discount
- (v.) To deduct from an account, debt, charge, and the like; to make an abatement of; as, merchants sometimes discount five or six per cent for prompt payment of bills.
- (v.) To take into consideration beforehand; to anticipate and form conclusions concerning (an event).
- (v. i.) To lend, or make a practice of lending, money, abating the discount; as, the discount for sixty or ninety days.
- (v. t.) A deduction made for interest, in advancing money upon, or purchasing, a bill or note not due; payment in advance of interest upon money.
- (v. t.) A counting off or deduction made from a gross sum on any account whatever; an allowance upon an account, debt, demand, price asked, and the like; something taken or deducted.
- (v. t.) The rate of interest charged in discounting.
- (v.) To lend money upon, deducting the discount or allowance for interest; as, the banks discount notes and bills of exchange.
- (v.) To leave out of account; to take no notice of.
• Discountable Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Capable of being, or suitable to be, discounted; as, certain forms are necessary to render notes discountable at a bank.
• Discountenancer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) One who discountenances; one who disfavors.