• Drain Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To exhaust of liquid contents by drawing them off; to make gradually dry or empty; to remove surface water, as from streets, by gutters, etc.; to deprive of moisture; hence, to exhaust; to empty of wealth, resources, or the like; as, to drain a country of its specie.
- (v. t.) To filter.
- (n.) The grain from the mashing tub; as, brewers drains.
- (v. t.) To draw off by degrees; to cause to flow gradually out or off; hence, to cause the exhaustion of.
- (v. i.) To become emptied of liquor by flowing or dropping; as, let the vessel stand and drain.
- (n.) The act of draining, or of drawing off; gradual and continuous outflow or withdrawal; as, the drain of specie from a country.
- (n.) That means of which anything is drained; a channel; a trench; a water course; a sewer; a sink.
- (v. i.) To flow gradually; as, the water of low ground drains off.
• Drainage Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The mode in which the waters of a country pass off by its streams and rivers.
- (n.) The system of drains and their operation, by which superfluous water is removed from towns, railway beds, mines, and other works.
- (n.) The act, process, or means of drawing off the pus or fluids from a wound, abscess, etc.
- (n.) Area or district drained; as, the drainage of the Po, the Thames, etc.
- (n.) A draining; a gradual flowing off of any liquid; also, that which flows out of a drain.
• Drainpipe Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A pipe used for carrying off surplus water.