• Dress Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To arrange in exact continuity of line, as soldiers; commonly to adjust to a straight line and at proper distance; to align; as, to dress the ranks.
- (n.) Attention to apparel, or skill in adjusting it.
- (v. t.) To treat methodically with remedies, bandages, or curative appliances, as a sore, an ulcer, a wound, or a wounded or diseased part.
- (n.) A ladys gown; as, silk or a velvet dress.
- (v. i.) To arrange ones self in due position in a line of soldiers; -- the word of command to form alignment in ranks; as, Right, dress!
- (v. i.) To clothe or apparel ones self; to put on ones garments; to pay particular regard to dress; as, to dress quickly.
- (v. t.) To break and train for use, as a horse or other animal.
- (v. t.) To cut to proper dimensions, or give proper shape to, as to a tool by hammering; also, to smooth or finish.
- (n.) That which is used as the covering or ornament of the body; clothes; garments; habit; apparel.
- (v. t.) To direct; to put right or straight; to regulate; to order.
- (v. t.) To adjust; to put in good order; to arrange; specifically: (a) To prepare for use; to fit for any use; to render suitable for an intended purpose; to get ready; as, to dress a slain animal; to dress meat; to dress leather or cloth; to dress or trim a lamp; to dress a garden; to dress a horse, by currying and rubbing; to dress grain, by cleansing it; in mining and metallurgy, to dress ores, by sorting and separating them.
- (n.) The system of furrows on the face of a millstone.
- (v. t.) To put in proper condition by appareling, as the body; to put clothes upon; to apparel; to invest with garments or rich decorations; to clothe; to deck.
• Dress circle Definition & Synonyms
- () A gallery or circle in a theater, generally the first above the floor, in which originally dress clothes were customarily worn.
• Dress coat Definition & Synonyms
- () A coat with skirts behind only, as distinct from the frock coat, of which the skirts surround the body. It is worn on occasions of ceremony. The dress coat of officers of the United States army is a full-skirted frock coat.