• Drill Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To pierce or bore with a drill, or a with a drill; to perforate; as, to drill a hole into a rock; to drill a piece of metal.
- (n.) A light furrow or channel made to put seed into sowing.
- (n.) A small trickling stream; a rill.
- (n.) A row of seed sown in a furrow.
- (v. t.) To train in the military art; to exercise diligently, as soldiers, in military evolutions and exercises; hence, to instruct thoroughly in the rudiments of any art or branch of knowledge; to discipline.
- (n.) Any exercise, physical or mental, enforced with regularity and by constant repetition; as, a severe drill in Latin grammar.
- (n.) A marine gastropod, of several species, which kills oysters and other bivalves by drilling holes through the shell. The most destructive kind is Urosalpinx cinerea.
- (v. i.) To trickle.
- (n.) An implement for making holes for sowing seed, and sometimes so formed as to contain seeds and drop them into the hole made.
- (n.) A large African baboon (Cynocephalus leucophaeus).
- (n.) The act or exercise of training soldiers in the military art, as in the manual of arms, in the execution of evolutions, and the like; hence, diligent and strict instruction and exercise in the rudiments and methods of any business; a kind or method of military exercises; as, infantry drill; battalion drill; artillery drill.
- (v. i.) To practice an exercise or exercises; to train ones self.
- (n.) An instrument with an edged or pointed end used for making holes in hard substances; strictly, a tool that cuts with its end, by revolving, as in drilling metals, or by a succession of blows, as in drilling stone; also, a drill press.
- (v. t.) To sow, as seeds, by dribbling them along a furrow or in a row, like a trickling rill of water.
- (n.) Same as Drilling.
- (v. t.) To cause to flow in drills or rills or by trickling; to drain by trickling; as, waters drilled through a sandy stratum.
- (v. t.) To entice; to allure from step; to decoy; -- with on.
- (v. t.) To cause to slip or waste away by degrees.
- (v. i.) To sow in drills.
• Drilling Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Drill
- (n.) A heavy, twilled fabric of linen or cotton.
- (n.) The act of piercing with a drill.
- (n.) The act of using a drill in sowing seeds.
- (n.) A training by repeated exercises.