• Drop Definition & Synonyms
- (v. i.) To let drops fall; to discharge itself in drops.
- (n.) To give birth to; as, to drop a lamb.
- (v. i.) To fall or be depressed; to lower; as, the point of the spear dropped a little.
- (v. i.) To fall in drops.
- (n.) Same as Gutta.
- (v. i.) To fall short of a mark.
- (n.) To let go; to dismiss; to set aside; to have done with; to discontinue; to forsake; to give up; to omit.
- (n.) The distance of the axis of a shaft below the base of a hanger.
- (v. i.) To be deep in extent; to descend perpendicularly; as, her main topsail drops seventeen yards.
- (n.) To send, as a letter; as, please drop me a line, a letter, word.
- (n.) Whatever is arranged to drop, hang, or fall from an elevated position; also, a contrivance for lowering something
- (n.) To cause to fall in one portion, or by one motion, like a drop; to let fall; as, to drop a line in fishing; to drop a courtesy.
- (v. i.) To come to an end; to cease; to pass out of mind; as, the affair dropped.
- (n.) The depth of a square sail; -- generally applied to the courses only.
- (n.) A machine for lowering heavy weights, as packages, coal wagons, etc., to a ships deck.
- (n.) A curtain which drops or falls in front of the stage of a theater, etc.
- (v. i.) To come unexpectedly; -- with in or into; as, my old friend dropped in a moment.
- (v. i.) To fall, in general, literally or figuratively; as, ripe fruit drops from a tree; wise words drop from the lips.
- (n.) To bestow or communicate by a suggestion; to let fall in an indirect, cautious, or gentle manner; as, to drop hint, a word of counsel, etc.
- (n.) The quantity of fluid which falls in one small spherical mass; a liquid globule; a minim; hence, also, the smallest easily measured portion of a fluid; a small quantity; as, a drop of water.
- (n.) A drop press or drop hammer.
- (n.) To cover with drops; to variegate; to bedrop.
- (n.) To lower, as a curtain, or the muzzle of a gun, etc.
- (n.) To pour or let fall in drops; to pour in small globules; to distill.
- (v. i.) To fall dead, or to fall in death.
- (n.) A contrivance for temporarily lowering a gas jet.
- (n.) That which resembles, or that which hangs like, a liquid drop; as a hanging diamond ornament, an earring, a glass pendant on a chandelier, a sugarplum (sometimes medicated), or a kind of shot or slug.
- (n.) A door or platform opening downward; a trap door; that part of the gallows on which a culprit stands when he is to be hanged; hence, the gallows itself.
- (n.) Act of dropping; sudden fall or descent.
- (n.) Any medicine the dose of which is measured by drops; as, lavender drops.
- (n.) Any small pendent ornament.
• Dropsied Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Diseased with drops.
• Dropsicalness Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) State of being dropsical.