• Ear Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Privilege of being kindly heard; favor; attention.
- (n.) The spike or head of any cereal (as, wheat, rye, barley, Indian corn, etc.), containing the kernels.
- (n.) Same as Acroterium.
- (v. t.) To plow or till; to cultivate.
- (n.) The organ of hearing; the external ear.
- (n.) That which resembles in shape or position the ear of an animal; any prominence or projection on an object, -- usually one for support or attachment; a lug; a handle; as, the ears of a tub, a skillet, or dish. The ears of a boat are outside kneepieces near the bow. See Illust. of Bell.
- (v. i.) To put forth ears in growing; to form ears, as grain; as, this corn ears well.
- (v. t.) To take in with the ears; to hear.
- (n.) The sense of hearing; the perception of sounds; the power of discriminating between different tones; as, a nice ear for music; -- in the singular only.
- (n.) Same as Crossette.
• Earl marshal Definition & Synonyms
- () An officer of state in England who marshals and orders all great ceremonials, takes cognizance of matters relating to honor, arms, and pedigree, and directs the proclamation of peace and war. The court of chivalry was formerly under his jurisdiction, and he is still the head of the heralds office or college of arms.
• Earldom Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The jurisdiction of an earl; the territorial possessions of an earl.
- (n.) The status, title, or dignity of an earl.