• Earn Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To acquire by labor, service, or performance; to deserve and receive as compensation or wages; as, to earn a good living; to earn honors or laurels.
- (v. i.) To curdle, as milk.
- (v. i.) To long; to yearn.
- (n.) See Ern, n.
- (v. t. & i.) To grieve.
- (v. t.) To merit or deserve, as by labor or service; to do that which entitles one to (a reward, whether the reward is received or not).
• Earnest Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Ardent in the pursuit of an object; eager to obtain or do; zealous with sincerity; with hearty endeavor; heartfelt; fervent; hearty; -- used in a good sense; as, earnest prayers.
- (n.) Something of value given by the buyer to the seller, by way of token or pledge, to bind the bargain and prove the sale.
- (a.) Serious; important.
- (v. t.) To use in earnest.
- (a.) Intent; fixed closely; as, earnest attention.
- (n.) Something given, or a part paid beforehand, as a pledge; pledge; handsel; a token of what is to come.
- (n.) Seriousness; reality; fixed determination; eagerness; intentness.