• Earnest Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) Ardent in the pursuit of an object; eager to obtain or do; zealous with sincerity; with hearty endeavor; heartfelt; fervent; hearty; -- used in a good sense; as, earnest prayers.
- (n.) Something of value given by the buyer to the seller, by way of token or pledge, to bind the bargain and prove the sale.
- (a.) Serious; important.
- (v. t.) To use in earnest.
- (a.) Intent; fixed closely; as, earnest attention.
- (n.) Something given, or a part paid beforehand, as a pledge; pledge; handsel; a token of what is to come.
- (n.) Seriousness; reality; fixed determination; eagerness; intentness.
• Earnestly Definition & Synonyms
- (adv.) In an earnest manner.