• East Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The point in the heavens where the sun is seen to rise at the equinox, or the corresponding point on the earth; that one of the four cardinal points of the compass which is in a direction at right angles to that of north and south, and which is toward the right hand of one who faces the north; the point directly opposite to the west.
- (n.) Formerly, the part of the United States east of the Alleghany Mountains, esp. the Eastern, or New England, States; now, commonly, the whole region east of the Mississippi River, esp. that which is north of Maryland and the Ohio River; -- usually with the definite article; as, the commerce of the East is not independent of the agriculture of the West.
- (adv.) Eastward.
- (v. i.) To move toward the east; to veer from the north or south toward the east; to orientate.
- (a.) Toward the rising sun; or toward the point where the sun rises when in the equinoctial; as, the east gate; the east border; the east side; the east wind is a wind that blows from the east.
- (n.) The eastern parts of the earth; the regions or countries which lie east of Europe; the orient. In this indefinite sense, the word is applied to Asia Minor, Syria, Chaldea, Persia, India, China, etc.; as, the riches of the East; the diamonds and pearls of the East; the kings of the East.
- (a.) Designating, or situated in, that part of a church which contains the choir or chancel; as, the east front of a cathedral.
• East Indian Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A native of, or a dweller in, the East Indies.
- () Belonging to, or relating to, the East Indies.
• Easterling Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The smew.
- (n.) A native of a country eastward of another; -- used, by the English, of traders or others from the coasts of the Baltic.
- (a.) Relating to the money of the Easterlings, or Baltic traders. See Sterling.
- (n.) A piece of money coined in the east by Richard II. of England.