• Elder Definition & Synonyms
- (a.) A clergyman authorized to administer all the sacraments; as, a traveling elder.
- (a.) An aged person; one who lived at an earlier period; a predecessor.
- (a.) One who is older; a superior in age; a senior.
- (a.) Older; more aged, or existing longer.
- (a.) A person who, on account of his age, occupies the office of ruler or judge; hence, a person occupying any office appropriate to such as have the experience and dignity which age confers; as, the elders of Israel; the elders of the synagogue; the elders in the apostolic church.
- (a.) Born before another; prior in years; senior; earlier; older; as, his elder brother died in infancy; -- opposed to younger, and now commonly applied to a son, daughter, child, brother, etc.
- (n.) A genus of shrubs (Sambucus) having broad umbels of white flowers, and small black or red berries.
• Elderberry Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The berrylike drupe of the elder. That of the Old World elder (Sambucus nigra) and that of the American sweet elder (S. Canadensis) are sweetish acid, and are eaten as a berry or made into wine.