• Encountering Definition & Synonyms
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Encounter
• Encounter Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) A meeting, with hostile purpose; hence, a combat; a battle; as, a bloody encounter.
- (adv.) To come against face to face; to meet; to confront, either by chance, suddenly, or deliberately; especially, to meet in opposition or with hostile intent; to engage in conflict with; to oppose; to struggle with; as, to encounter a friend in traveling; two armies encounter each other; to encounter obstacles or difficulties, to encounter strong evidence of a truth.
- (v. i.) To meet face to face; to have a meeting; to meet, esp. as enemies; to engage in combat; to fight; as, three armies encountered at Waterloo.
- (v. t.) A meeting face to face; a running against; a sudden or incidental meeting; an interview.