• Ended Definition & Synonyms
- (imp. & p. p.) of End
• End Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) The extreme or last point or part of any material thing considered lengthwise (the extremity of breadth being side); hence, extremity, in general; the concluding part; termination; close; limit; as, the end of a field, line, pole, road; the end of a year, of a discourse; put an end to pain; -- opposed to beginning, when used of anything having a first part.
- (n.) Point beyond which no procession can be made; conclusion; issue; result, whether successful or otherwise; conclusive event; consequence.
- (n.) The object aimed at in any effort considered as the close and effect of exertion; ppurpose; intention; aim; as, to labor for private or public ends.
- (n.) That which is left; a remnant; a fragment; a scrap; as, odds and ends.
- (v. t.) To destroy; to put to death.
- (n.) One of the yarns of the worsted warp in a Brussels carpet.
- (n.) Termination of being; death; destruction; extermination; also, cause of death or destruction.
- (v. t.) To bring to an end or conclusion; to finish; to close; to terminate; as, to end a speech.
- (v. t.) To form or be at the end of; as, the letter k ends the word back.
- (v. i.) To come to the ultimate point; to be finished; to come to a close; to cease; to terminate; as, a voyage ends; life ends; winter ends.