• Engine Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) (Pronounced, in this sense, ////.) Natural capacity; ability; skill.
- (n.) Anything used to effect a purpose; any device or contrivance; an agent.
- (v. t.) (Pronounced, in this sense, /////.) To rack; to torture.
- (v. t.) To assault with an engine.
- (n.) A compound machine by which any physical power is applied to produce a given physical effect.
- (n.) Any instrument by which any effect is produced; especially, an instrument or machine of war or torture.
- (v. t.) To equip with an engine; -- said especially of steam vessels; as, vessels are often built by one firm and engined by another.
• Engineering Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Originally, the art of managing engines; in its modern and extended sense, the art and science by which the mechanical properties of matter are made useful to man in structures and machines; the occupation and work of an engineer.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Engineer
• Enginer Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) A contriver; an inventor; a contriver of engines.