• Engineering Definition & Synonyms
- (n.) Originally, the art of managing engines; in its modern and extended sense, the art and science by which the mechanical properties of matter are made useful to man in structures and machines; the occupation and work of an engineer.
- (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Engineer
• Engineer Definition & Synonyms
- (v. t.) To lay out or construct, as an engineer; to perform the work of an engineer on; as, to engineer a road.
- (n.) One who manages as engine, particularly a steam engine; an engine driver.
- (n.) One who carries through an enterprise by skillful or artful contrivance; an efficient manager.
- (n.) A person skilled in the principles and practice of any branch of engineering. See under Engineering, n.
- (v. t.) To use contrivance and effort for; to guide the course of; to manage; as, to engineer a bill through Congress.